Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TTIC # 44 - It's BOOKS That Bought Us All Together!


Ok...It's that time of the week again...It's Tuesday! And you all know what that means...Another Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge!

"It's BOOKS that brought us all together"

I have a bit of a confession this week... I left this fantastic challenge by our beautiful and very talented Rebecca to the last minute...You see I was kinda...well...I'll just say it....I have lost my mojo!!! There...I admit it....I have not been in a creative frame of mind for awhile now..... I was just about to send out a search party for it when a very good friend reminded me of how much I love doing this and has just listened to me going slowly nutty and supporting me....I don't know what I would do without her! So, anyway I woke up this morning all refreshed and ready to get into the office and create! Ok, confession over.... On to what you have all come to see.....

So this week Rebecca writes..."Reading the Twilight Saga books is what brought us all together....So this week is really dedicated to books. I hadn't stayed up all night reading anything in a very long time, yet that was exactly what I did with the books - I couldn't put them down! Many of you have shared similar stories with me on that topic. Each of the books have their own sub-theme throughout the series. Wuthering Heights is discussed many times in Eclipse, in fact - bookstores have been reporting that their sales of Wuthering Heights were through the roof after Eclipse came out.

Each book in the series was inspired by and loosely based on a different literary classic: Twilight on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, New Moon on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse on Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, and Breaking Dawn on a second Shakespeare play, A Midsummer Nights Dream. Meyer also states that Orson Scott Card and L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series are a big influence on her writing."

Bella discussed some of her books (this is from Twilight)
"I had a small collection of books that came with me to Forks, the shabbiest volume being a compilation of the works of Jane Austen. Outside in Charlies small, square yard, I folded the quilt in half and laid it out of the reach of the trees' shadow on the thick lawn that would always be slightly wet, no matter how long the sun shone. I lay on my stomach, crossing my ankles in the air, flipping through the different novels in the book, trying to decided which would occupy my mind the most thoroughly. My favourites were Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility."

Craft Portion: Make any project that celebrates your favourite book! It can be a project about a book, for a book, inspired by a book title and cover.

Comment Portion: Which novel would you put in Bella's hands (classic or contemporary) for her to read? Did Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse or Breaking Dawn inspire you to read (or re-read) any of the classics? Do you compare Edward and Bella to that of Wuthering Heights Heathcliff and Cathy?

So as I said to you before...I was stumped...Not that this was a really hard challenge because I love to read and reading Twilight is what got me here today, but because I just didn't know which book to pick and then there was the whole craft side of it....Anyway, so I finally decided on Diana Gabaldon's Cross Stitch (the Outlander Series to all my American friends).
This series was introduced to me by my friend Maria...And then Sharon lent me the books and I was hooked...This was way before Twilight.

I fell in love with a Scottish Highlander, Jamie and his very feisty wife Claire, who by the way, time travels and their incredible love story...And take it from me it is a bit of doosy!

So in honour of the next book being released next month (number 7) I have decided to dedicate this card to Claire and Jamie....



I wanted to use green cause of the Scottish Highlands and trying not to give to much away for those of you that haven't read the book...I have made this card for when they were apart....



I could not for the life of me think what to put in the middle of this card...But my SU tree seemed to work pretty well!

Paper: Bazzill, Jenni Bowlin
Stamps: SU, Hero Arts
Ink: Versafine Black, Tim Holtz Walnut Distress Ink
Accessories: Brads and Ribbon, Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, Spellbinders
Techniques: Distressing, Embossing


Then my mojo hit....And I couldn't leave out my most favourite series ever could I?


Paper: Basic Gray, Bazzill
Stamps: Artful Inkables
Ink: Versafine Black, Tim Holtz Walnut Distress Ink
Accessories: Ribbon
Technique: Distressing

So there you go...I am hoping my Mojo is back to stay..I hate it when it decides to go on a vacation! So if you want to partake in this fantastic challenge we just have a few guidelines for you to follow:

For Posting to a blog: Please indicate that you are playing along with the Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge on twilighttuesday.com and please provide a link back to the site.

For Posting on another gallery, such as Splitcoast Stampers or Flickr: Please indicate that you are playing along with the Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge on twilighttuesday.com and please provide a link back to the site. Please use the appropriate keywords for our challenges; an example is TTIC44 for challenge 44. No number signs (#) or spaces are needed in the keyword. You can also add in more general keywords for Splitcoast/Flickr (such as Twilight, Twilight Tuesday inspiration Challenge, etc.).

Comments/Posting your link: Please leave a comment with the link to your challenge piece to tell us that you played along with us! Then we can visit you and leave lovely comments for you. We are big fans of comments! And don't forget - leaving a comment on Twilight Tuesday will get you entered into this month's blog candy giveaway!

For the comment portion of this challenge...Yes, Twilight did inspire me to re-read the classics and actually brought back books into my life in a very big way. I actually would recommend to Bella that she read Cross Stitch...It is a classic love story and a bit unreal like her own...And would I compare Edward and Bella to Heathcliff and Cathy?..Yes and no...Heathcliff and Cathy's love is very dark and although passionate is also very sad...Bella and Edward have the same passion but have more common sense...maybe...If Edward wasn't so self sacrificing and Bella so stubborn...Or is it the other way round....lol!

Ok...It's time to go and give my girls some love...

Dani ~ Eve ~ Jen ~ Margie ~ Rebecca ~ Tonya

Guest Designers:

Alison ~ Jacquie ~ Erica

Julie and Beth are taking a break this week.

Lots Of Twilight Love


Donna
Xx

12 comments :

Alison said...

So glad yougot your mojo back! I have been like that for the past week too! Your cards are awesome! I love that you used grey in the Twilight card! Fantabulous!

Jacqueline said...

Glad you are feeling more mojo-rific because these cards are AMAZING!! The tree....perfect image to use! The colors remind me of a grassy scottish hillside, just really beautiful Don...your twilight card is wonderful too, love the panels, the layout rocks! You rock!! Love you

ellepaulette said...

Could you bottle up some of your lovely mojo and send it to me? :)
Awesome cards!! Love the layouts and colors for both! Perfection!!

Erica said...

I love both of your projects. Two projects in a row that you used Thinking of You and they are so unique and different. I love the Twilight project. Both fabulous!

Alyssa S said...

Donna, these both knock my socks off! They are so beautiful!! ;o)

mindi said...

WOW - those are picture perfect. Seriously. You've found your calling, my friend!!

Rebecca said...

Love the use of text in your Twi card :-) and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the highland green that you did for Claire and Jamie!
*so glad you found your mojo :-) although I'm sure it hadn't gone far!

Jennifer said...

Donna, I love your cards. They are AWESOME! I always look forward to your creations.

Lainee said...

Absolutely beautiful, as usual, Donna. Glad you got your mojo back, but then I didn't know it was missing!

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Jamie is mine. Claire can stuff it! I've only read the first book, Outlander, and couldn't bring myself to read on. The book was so long and just drained me even though I loved the story. I may pick up the next book someday.

Your projects are fantastic!

Julie said...

Donna, these are just GORGEOUS! You do such beautiful work! I'm a Jamie and Claire fan as well. I once met the author at a book-signing - all my books have her signature now! She's like Claire come to life!

Sam said...

Hi Donna,

I must have missed this post...I just found it in my google reader, and I was blown away by both projects. I love your Jamie and Claire card (I ADORE that series too, and can't wait for the next installment).

...and the Bella and Edward project...FABULOUS! I could look at it all morning.

Your mojo ROCKS!!!!! :-).