Friday, March 13, 2009

I Hate Running......Or Do I ?

For those who don't know, I get up at an ridiculous early hour (5.30am) to go for my morning walk. There are several very valid reasons for this early start, one being, that I am happy to be up at this time and in summer and when you have 40 degree days it's a pleasant alternative to sweating you face off....Anyway, back to the point.... I was fat, no, I was overweight. I wasn't what you call obese but I had a serious " muffin top thing" happening and to be perfectly honest I had been unhappy about the way I looked for a very long time.
So when we moved to Strathalbyn and I found that I had all this spare time on my hands I started to walk. I didn't intentionally mean to go and loose weight, just one day, I started to walk and then started to make better eating choices. I had up to that point in my life been very afraid to get on the scales and when I finally made myself do it I was dismayed at how I had let myself get to this.... I was 76 kgs. I actually think I was heavier before I left Naracoorte but lost it just before we moved.
So, to cut a long story short, I kept walking and making the time I was walking longer and longer and to my surprise the weight started to come off it took me 6 months but I lost 15kgs! I was very happy when the day finally came and I reached my goal weight. Now comes the hard bit....maintaining it!
I HATE running! I don't run, I walk very fast......but I don't run..... I do now! It was one morning about 4 weeks ago I was out for my walk when the garbage truck decided to go where I wanted to go and I thought I would just run across the road and get out of his way..... Well I kept running all the way down to the end of the street thinking to myself "well this isn't as bad as I thought, maybe I should do this again tomorrow morning" and I did.
I did my PB (personal best) on Tuesday. I ran further than I have ever run before and the feeling of achieving that was.....well FANTASTIC!! (I even did a little victory dance when I finished, another reason why I get up so early, nobody can see you do victory dances!!). Am I a runner now?? I really didn't think I would enjoy it, I mean, it hurts!! It's hard work, but I tell you what, I am loving every minute of it.... I guess you could say, YES, I love running!
Xx

4 comments :

susy said...

Well done Don. woo hoo to you girl. Maybe I should pull my sorry butt off this computer chair and go for a walk.
Xx

Anne Elizabeth said...

That is awesome! I LOVE running but have some problems with my knees so I can't. I do walk really fast though and I am looking forward to getting back to it after baby is born. I currently waddle more than walk. lol

Andrea said...

Good for you!! That's great that you are exercising so much and aren't even having to pressure or force yourself into it. I'm not really into running now, but I used to run several miles a week when I was in high school. Maybe someday I'll be that healthy again!

Elephant Steps said...

I always think it's awesome when I hear people saying they love to run. I've tried it so many times, but I haven't enjoyed it yet. I'm a power walker er was. I actually miss power walking and lifting weights, but after my son is born, and I get the green light I'll be at least power walking with my little guy in front of me aka stroller power walking. :)