Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Have Been Inspired...

by my good friend Anne Elizabeth who recently re decorated her little girls room.....We have lived in this house for almost two years now and ever since we moved in I have had grand plans but not much money and little inspiration and motivation to attempt to do anything. So taking in account Andrew's very plain and dull idea's on decorating and then my NEED to make things how I would like them I have decided to take the bull (Andrew) by the horns so to speak and do things my way...... I swear not to freak out Andrew too much!
Anyway I thought I would do this gently and do one room at a time starting with the bedroom... IDEA'S guys....I need IDEA'S..... I know I am painting the back wall, but what colour? I know I want something but not to dramatic because I don't want to give Andrew nightmares!!
I want to change the curtains...I HATE them....and then there is the bedding, I have had this cover forever and would like a change! I need HELP guys any idea's would be most grateful just keep in mind....I have to be gentle!

I want to replace the mirror with a small comfy chair ( Andy has a habit of hanging his clothes all over the mirror and it really annoys me). Andrew agreed that the mirror could go on the back of the door although he doesn't know about the chair idea yet!

The jewelry box is a gift from my mum... The wooden manikin is from my sister which I absolutely love so those two thing stay...but I'm willing for any idea's here.......

This a small canvas that my friend Bren gave me....I really love it but it could probably go somewhere else....What do you think?

Sorry about the fuzzy picture....Andrew and I got these photo's done before the kids were born. I don't really have anywhere else to hang it.....so it has stayed in the bed room.

To your left is the en suit.... Middle door is my very small walk-in-robe....and then the door to the bed room.
Xx

8 comments :

susy said...

Well you've got me stumped, I agree though, pretty as it is, that it does need a little colour, maybe warming a little. It's such a big decision though isn't it, changing to something you are not really sure about. My only suggestion is to go to the newsagency and grab a few home mags and pick out some colours and styles you like.
I don't think we have ever really settled into a house long enough or that I like enough to really put my own mark on it. As to the curtains if you did not want to go to the expense of totaly changing them you could add a coloured accent to them in whatever colour you decide on it the rest of the room eg a tie back or trim. And do remember if he hangs clothes on the mirror it's going to be worse with a chair,lol.
Five weeks,xx

Rachel's Journal Pages said...

I too have decided to completely re-decorate our bedroom. I have always felt a bit sad that we never bought a matching bedroom suite when we first got married (like most of our friends' did). So, I'm thinking of going modern, but still keeping a timber theme (so it won't look out-of-date in 2 years time). I am getting rid of my curtains too - hate them - I'm probably replacing them with some Holand Blinds (love the look of them). Will be interested to see what you do with your room - I'll have to blog about my redecorating plans now too... haven't done anything yet - still in the saving up money part for a few months more first :)

COCO said...

Gee Don Im not the girl to ask.If I lived on my own, the colours in my house would be like the trip along the yellow brick road, follow the rainbow etc. I personally love red , but Maybe you could plain up the bed to a chocolate colour maybe a little metallic. then have a cappucino type wall colour and add some warm copper accents in your room, metal type cushion on the new chair, it would still be on the maculine side but soft and warm.That would still look warm with all the lovely wood. Anyway. I painted my wall red, Davie really likesit. He didnt think he would!! xx coco

Andrea said...

Aww, I wish I could help! But I'm so bad at decorating! I haven't even started at our house.

I like to buy a comforter first and then match the paint to that. Then pick out wall decor and little accessories last. Right now my husband and I have a comforter, but I'm stuck with curtains and wall decor.

I love the pictures of you and your husband. They look good in the bedroom, but would also look great somewhere else in the house I think. I'm planning on putting pictures of me and Matt in our hallway. I always like seeing pictures in hallways because it's out of the way of the other decor, but still visible and something you can see everyday.

Keep up updated and good luck!

Anne Elizabeth said...

I really like reds and most guys like warm based reds. I am also really into blues right now and will be doing my upstairs bedroom in some steel based blues. Earth tones are also really nice. Do you want your room to be light and airy or darker? That really would dictate which color palette you choose from. I think the Susy's suggestion of looking at home magazines is great. That is where I've found a lot of my inspiration. Also what would you say your style is?

Anonymous said...

I would play off the picture and do coordinating hunter/sage greens... you could do the wall behind the bed HUNTER green and the other walls a lighter sage green. You could have the picture frame to match the wood in your room, maybe a more rustic frame, and put your chair (maybe in the goldish colored family... ) in the corner with a nice little table, lamp, ottoman and put that canvas over there too. I am sure you can find a comforter set and curtains that have hunters/browns/golds in it that is soothing and not overbearing for you and NOT feminine for him...
Whatever colors you choose... you want the walls to be two diff colors in the same family of colors... then you want to tie in the colors with the comfy chair/ottoman/curtains/comforter set.

You may want to buy him a wardrobe chair. They can be sleek... they have a place to hang clothes, and put a watch, etc... I bet there is an antique trade by you who will have one... then you can sand and stain the wood to be comperable with yours.

That is my two cents worth... GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Genius new blog graphics. LOVE them!
em

Melody said...

I am partial to tan/brown/mocha myself. I think it goes with almost any accent color.

I am really like brown and blue also.

I can't wait to see what you do.