As summer is fast approaching here in Australia I though over the next few weeks I would share some of my favourite salads that I like to make for my family during summer. The first one is a very popular one in our house... Well, ok, I love it, the boys tolerate it....
- 2 small crusty sourdough bread rolls, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 4 bacon rashers, rind removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 cos lettuce, leaves separated
- 60g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) grapeseed oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread bread, in a single layer, on a baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, to make the dressing, bring a saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add the whole unpeeled egg and cook for 2-3 mins. Use a slotted spoon to remove egg from the water. Crack the egg into a bowl and use a teaspoon to remove any remaining egg from the shell. Place the egg, garlic and half the lemon juice in a food processor and process to combine. With the motor running. add the combined oil in a thin, steady stream until the dressing is thick, adding a little of the remaining lemon juice until the dressing is a pourable consistency. Season with pepper.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, for 3-4 mins or until crisp and browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
4. Combine the lettuce, croutons, bacon and half the parmesan on a serving platter. Drizzle over the dressing and top with the remaining parmesan.