Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My First DIY Project...





So, I have been wanting to "re-do" the spare bedroom for ages now. We have already given it a new coat of paint but now I want it needs a new bedhead, bedside table, some cool vintage art on the wall, new doona cover. I have a clear vision of what I want... Only, it's one of those things that has to wait till after that school camp is paid for or those pesky bills that need paying get paid... You get the general idea right?! Anywhoo, I had a "light bulb" moment and though... Why do I have to buy a new bedside table there is nothing wrong with the one I have? It just needs... A make over!! And that's just what I did!

This is what the bedside table looked like before. A bit dented from living in a boy's room for too many years and generally looking a bit tired...




Having never done anything like this before, I asked Andy for some advice on how to go about giving the table a make over and then after what seemed like a two hour lecture but was only really 5 minutes he gave me "the right" sandpaper and block to use from "his" shed and I went straight to work...



This what it looked like after I finished sanding... I still had the drawers to go...



After a few hours of sanding I went over to our neighbors house to ask him if he could advise me on the right kind of paint to use because he works for a paint company and not only did he offer to get me some white paint but gave me some primer to get me started... I had to wait two days before I could start painting so that the primer was completely dry.
 


In the mean time, during the week and in between work and everything else... Andy and I went to Bunnings to buy some new knobs for the drawers and I also gave the table it's first, second and third coat of paint...



And here it is all finished..... Can I just say I am just a teeny bit proud of myself because I did this... No help from the hubby...All me!!


..... Now, what to tackle next???

Donna


No comments :