Friday, August 3, 2012

Show Us Your Life Recipes - Chicken Curry




I know I promised you a tour of my study and spare bedroom today but to be perfectly honest and even thought I have tidied it up a little bit I am too ashamed to put photo's of them on my blog so I thought I would share one of my favourite meals with you instead...

This is my Chicken Curry. It is tender and very tasty. Just the smell of the curry powder cooking gets my families mouths watering every time. It is so easy to make and depending on your tastes you can decided on just how much chilli or curry you and your family like...

What you'll need:

1 kg of chicken fillets
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 drops of garlic paste
1 tbs of ginger paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 cup of curry powder
2 tsp salt
1 tbs tamarind puree
1 tbs honey
yoghurt and coriander leaves, to serve

*These are just some of the ingredients...


 Directions:

1. Cut the chicken into bite-size cubes. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until golden brown.




 2. Mix the chilli powder, curry powder and salt with a little water to make a paste.



3. Add the paste to the pan and continue to fry, stirring often, for about 2 minutes until fragrant.



4. Add the chicken to the pan and stir to coat it thoroughly with the spice mixture.



 5. Place the tamarind puree in 1 1/2 cups (375ml) hot water.



 6. Pour the liquid over the chicken and stir to combine.



7. Cover and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is very tender. Add the honey and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until the gravy thickens. Serve topped with yogurt and coriander leaves.


As I said, this recipe is pretty versatile on how spicy you like your food, just change the amount of curry and chilli powder you use. And although it takes 1 1/2 hours to cook it is so worth it for the beautiful tender meat and the smell that engulfs your house while cooking.... 

1 comment :

susy said...

I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night xx